The Blubrry PowerPress plugin for WordPress version 0.7.1 is now available. The latest version includes a large number of new features as well as bug fixes. The latest version may be downloaded here.
New Features Include:
- Simple/Advanced Modes
- Simple Mode is perfect for podcasters just starting out
- Advanced Mode includes additional settings, tools and features.
- Enhanced iTunes Summary option (learn more)
- Create Unlimited Custom Podcast Feeds
- Each Feed includes the same extensive feed settings as the default podcast feed.
- Customize feed title, description and landing page
- Specify number of episodes per feed
- Hosted Feed Service Support (e.g. FeedBurner.com)
- WordPress Nonces support
- Added WordPress Roles and Capabilities support for User Role Management
- Additional player settings, specify audio player width and video player width & height
- PodPress Episode Import Tool
- Simple Mode for Podcast Entry Box (just enter the media URL and you’re done)
- A handful of bug fixes and improvements
- Fixed duration detection bug
- Improved player in-page loading time
- Duration formatting improved for episodes that go over 1 hour.
There are many new features in this release of Blubrry PowerPress. Many of these features were the result from the support and suggestions from the the community. Thanks everyone for your contributions.
Some of the features in depth:
Custom Podcast Feeds
The new Custom Podcast Feeds feature allows podcasters to create additional podcast feeds for syndicating multiple media formats or versions of their podcast. No other WordPress podcasting plugin provides custom podcast feeds. The advantage of using PowerPress Custom Podcast Feeds is you can decide which media file is associated with which feed at the time you edit your blog post.
Enhanced iTunes Summary
The Enhanced iTunes Summary option is intended to save Podcasters time. Many podcasters have asked us to provide an additional text field so you can enter a special iTunes Summary for each podcast episode. When we analyzed what podcasters wanted, we discovered that they simply wantd to enter the same blog post content without the HTML markup. Enabling the Enhanced iTunes Summary option will automatically remove the HTML markup in a readable format for iTunes while including web links and links to embedded images. The web links and embedded images are clickable within iTunes and open in the default browser when clicked.
The addition of the Simple and Advanced modes for managing PowerPress settings was a direct result of the feedback we received from podcasters wanting an easy to configure podcasting plugin for WordPress. Simple mode is perfect for someone starting out who may not understand all of the options and settings available in Blubrry PowerPress. The Simple Mode displays only the essential settings required to get your podcast started.
We are committed to providing a well developed and mature podcasting plugin for WordPress. Please leave a comment below or contact us with your thoughts, comments or feature suggestions so we can continue to improve the plugin.